August 28, 2007

Carman's Maryland Campaign... continued.

Hat tip to Kim Guinta of Routledge Publishers who responded to my question regarding the book's initial print run. She writes, "the book is definitely geared toward library collections and will have a shorter first printing than many of our course-adoption titles, but anyone who is interested in the Civil War and in Carman will want to have a copy as reference. Right now, we're anticipating a first printing between 500 copies and 1,000, but that hasn't been set at the moment, because the book is still in production, and depending on advance orders and that sort of thing, the final first printing number could increase or decrease. As I'm sure you're aware, with today's digital printing, it is easier to reprint than ever, so the first printing may be shorter than it would otherwise be, because of quick turn around with the reprints."

Seasoned collectors know that digital and print-on-demand technology can be a sore spot for it makes it much harder to track print runs, number of printings, etc.

3 comments:

DW@CWBA said...

Tom Clemens is also editing the Carman manuscript for publication. Ethan Rafuse made known his high expectations for it on Civil Warriors a while back. Pierro and his publisher are surely happy they are going to make it out first.

Paul Taylor said...

Drew,

I remember hearing several years ago that someone was working on it, but do not remember who it was. Talk about having some wind removed from the sails. I once joked that someone needed to create a massive database that all history authors could participate in as to what they were writing about, thereby eliminating duplication and that sinking feeling you get when you realize that your thunder is about to be stolen...

Paul

Rebel129 said...

No one felt worse about the matter than I. I didn't learn about Tom Clemens's project until my version was already delivered to the publisher, but I made my status known to Tom Clemens the very same day. The truly unfortunate part of it was that several people whom I contacted when I first started to explore the possiiblity of editing this book apparently knew of Tom's intention, but never mentioned it to me. (At that time, I hadn't yet begun work on it and would have gladly yielded the field.) Paul's database joke isn't such a bad idea. . . .

Joseph Pierro