July 8, 2008

Fighting Joe Hooker

I recently scored a lovely first edition (so stated) of Walter H. Hebert's Fighting Joe Hooker, which was originally published by the Bobbs Merrill Co. in 1944. This 64-year-old book even features a nice example of the now very uncommon dust jacket, complete with the $3.50 price on the jacket flap. As the book was published during WWII, the back panel features a plea from the author for the public to buy United States War Savings Bonds! This is the publisher's trade edition, however it appears that the publisher also prepared a signed limited edition. On a special tipped-in page, it reads "This edition of Fighting Joe Hooker is limited to 250 copies of which this in No. --."

Amazon describes the book as the "definitive biography of a man who could lead so brilliantly and yet fall so ignominiously remains [to this day] the only full-length treatment of Hooker's life. His renewal as an important commander in the western theater during the Chattanooga and Atlanta campaigns is discussed, as is his life before and after his Civil War military service." According to Nevins, the work is "A critical study, based on extensive research: contains a fine account of the Chancellorsville campaign."

I recall reading a story on the web where one collector was asked why he only bought first editions. He responded by saying, "because I can't afford not to." The point being that a first edition is the only book which may return its original purchase price to the buyer. Of course, there's no guarantee that it will, but it could. This book illustrates that concept perfectly. I paid thirty bucks for the book, including shipping, and I consider that a bargain. I don't think it will ever depreciate. Meanwhile, Fighting Joe Hooker is still in print in paperback format from the University of Nebraska Press at $21.95. Same price at Amazon. If you buy a new copy, it depreciates immediately upon purchase. If you go to sell it, you'll get a few bucks at best.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Paul

I also have a copy of the Hooker biography. However, I don't believe it is nice as the copy you have. Your copy looks in great shape. Considering what you paid for it, I think you have a steal. I'm a little surprised no one has taken on the task of writing a new biography of Hooker. He seems worthy of one.

I do understand someone is working on a 2 volume biography of George Meade. I believe Kent State University Press will be publishing it?

Regards
Don

A.J said...

I couldn't help but notice that many of the volumes you reference are published by various University Press entities. Is this because the author is often associated with the University? Or is it perhaps indicative of a more sholarly work as opposed to something more mainstream? I have little knowledge of the publishing industry but do love books and reading. I found your blog a while ago and am now a regular reader.

Paul Taylor said...

A.J.,

Thanks for writing and I'm glad to learn you're a regular reader. I'll do my best to address your question, however if someone else thinks I'm off base, please chime in.

The primary purpose of a university press is to provide a publishing outlet for their full-time staff. That said, one does not have to be associated with the university in order to have his/her work accepted for publication by the university press. My next book, for example, will be published by Kent State University Press, even though I am not affilated with that school nor do I possess any type of advanced degree.

I think it's fair to say that having your work published by a university press implies a high level of scholarship toward the topic and a respectable level of writing ability, though I'm sure university press books have been published in the past that were dry as a bone. As fellow blogger and author Eric Wittenberg wrote in an earlier post at his blog, "publication by a university press instantly bestows credibility upon an author." This is because the scholarly standards are tougher than many, but of course not all, trade publishers. I can tell you that the vetting process for this upcoming book was far more rigorous than anything I experienced previously.